Thanks to The Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2013 we can get an inkling of some potential communication barriers. Hopefully, forewarned is forearmed.
Below are some of my favorites from the list:
- For these students, Martha Graham, Pan American Airways, Michael Landon, Dr. Seuss, Miles Davis, The Dallas Times Herald, Gene Roddenberry, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead.
- Earvin "Magic" Johnson has always been HIV-positive.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream has always been a flavor choice.
- Bungee jumping has always been socially acceptable.
- The European Union has always existed.
- There has always been a Cartoon Network.
- They have always been able to read books on an electronic screen.
- We have always watched wars, coups, and police arrests unfold on television in real time.
- There have always been flat screen televisions.
- Britney Spears has always been heard on classic rock stations.
- Most communities have always had a mega-church.
- Natalie Cole has always been singing with her father.
- Nobody has ever responded to “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.”