Many years ago, Robert Fulgham wrote "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten".
It wasn't very long but seemed to capture most of the important stuff.
In the same spirit, I've put together a list of what else I've learned. Again, it's the important stuff, not the trivia like multiplication tables or calculating the present value of a future stream of income or the structure of sonnets or the historical development of the sonata form.
I hope some of it will be useful to my kids now that they are on their own (or will be way too soon.) Each bullet is probably worth a post of its own -- maybe if I can find the time I will do that.
- There will always be bullies.
- Ignorance is curable; stupid is forever.
- Saying "Goodbye" is harder than making new friends.
- Learning something is easy; becoming good at something requires lots of hard work.
- Some people replace meddling in their siblings' lives with meddling in other peoples' lives.
- Many things in life are not fair -- but not everything.
- The complexity and wonder of the universe is an expanding revelation that cannot be equalled.
- Carrying a few dollars, some change, a couple of pens and a good Leatherman® multi-tool makes one very self-reliant.
- Knowing what you do not know is usually more important than what you know.
- Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.
- "Stop and smell the roses" only works if you like roses; figure out what you really like and do that.
- Critical issues require critical thinking. Unfortunately, there is a surplus of the former and a deficit of the latter.
- I could not be a Boy Scout or a church-goer anymore because of what I learned from them.
- Showing up on time, doing a good job, and being nice are all you can really control.
- There is no such thing as "The Good" or the "Best."
- Understanding and debating the question about the tree falling in the forest with nobody around is the best introduction to almost all the important issues in philosophy and language as communication.
- TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
Your mileage may vary.